[rescue] loud fans

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 17 23:50:58 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:38:09PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > > Theoretically you can play with resistors or putting hte fans in series
> > > when it comes ot their power... I have done both.
> >
> > Thereby reducing the fan speed and cooling the machine less needing more
> > fans that need their speed reduced that then cool the machine
> > less....*implode*
>
> He was asking about how to change the fans speed, smart ass... wether or
> not that is a smart move is debatable.
>
> BTW 2 fans running at 1/2 the speed move the same volume of air that 1 fan
> running at 1x speed. Simple laws of physics no imploding necessary really.

What's more, they'll arguably move it more efficiently (less turbulence).
However, depending on the design of the cooling system, less turbulence
might not be what you want.

(OK, so I doubt many - if any - manufacturers actually intentionally
design for entrained flow to augment cooling, but what the hell.)