[rescue] Re: loud fans

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 20:03:03 CDT 2003

>   Ryan Thoryk, in a plea for help, asks:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone here knew how to solve this problem.  My
>> Sun Ultra 2 has extremely loud power supply fans, and I could've
>> sworn they used to be quieter about a month or so ago (???).
>
>   Using a pencil, or some other suitable object, stop each fan in
>turn (temporarily!) and see if you can find the loud one.  Replace.
>Repeat if more than one is loud.

Just remember that a finger is not always a suitable object for stopping a fan :-)

A consulting engineer at my father's factory was comissioning some heavy industrial machinery. The machine's motors spun up and everything seemed to be working fine.

The engineer turns to my father and says "I think we need to install a machinery guard here to keep the production staff safe". To illustrate the unsafe area, the engineer turned around and pointed at an uncovered intake fan...which promptly cut off the end of his index finger.

Regards,

Gavin