[rescue] OS/2 anyone?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 17 19:44:52 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> What was that slogan again?  "A better Windows than Windows, a better
> DOS than DOS."

Yep.  You could preemtively multitask 16-bit Windows applications using
multiple Win-OS/2 sessions and still cut-n-paste data between them.
Windows NT -still- doesn't have this feature.  Windows apps certainly
weren't any faster, but they -were- more stable.

> I always wondered why OS/2 never caught on.

Marketing.  Their ads sucked.  They tried to push it off as "cool"
instead of "runs your business and moves big rocks".  The IBM PC Company
didn't have the balls to load it -instead- of 'doze on systems.  They'd
load both, set the system to boot DOS/'doze, and disable the boot
manager, so most people didn't even know they had it installed.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren