[rescue] Perverse Question

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 16:03:03 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:20:15 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 04:08 PM, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > university along the coast is having problems because their 1Gbps
> > pipe is saturated.
>
>    That's a *lot* of porn.

<grin> Yes indeed. One thing on my little list of things to do is to
identify possible porn sites, and require user authentication to visit
them. In the interests of preventing our more sensitive users dropping
into that kind of site of course. Mind you it might have the side effect
of stopping some non-work related browsing ... I wonder if the broadband
ISP's would be interested in sponsering this :)

>    I do believe, though, that if one were to look at all the net
> connections around, one would find that most of them are substantially
> slower than 155Mbs.

Of course! But I do get a little frustrated when people assume that it's
exceptionally rare. Hearing a firewall vendor salescritter's head
explode when you explain that you aren't interested in anything that
can't firewall 10Gbps is sort of fun though.