[rescue] A bit of Fun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 17 15:58:54 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I was really tempted to nominate the ALR VEISA series machines for this
> rather dubious honor.  To start with, they had the whole x86 thing going
> for them.  And then there was this "upgradeable" idea.

Ooooh!  Remember those Tandem desktop PCs from the early 1990s that had
a bunch of "bricks" that plugged into the front and sides fot upgrading
everything?  It was the PCjr, back from the dead!

> The obvious whipping boy here, IMHO, is the 80286.  Intel had a great
> opportunity to fix the mistakes made in the design of the 8086 while
> maintaining a backward compatibility mode ... and they STILL screwed the
> pooch.

Hadn't thought of that take.  They -tried- with the 80186, but the whole
world peed on them for not making it compatible.  However, unlike the
80286, isn't the 80186 still made?

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren