[rescue] Perverse Question

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 17 15:06:52 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 12:59 PM, Robert Novak wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:21 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>> managed to fuck up my regular phone line as well.  Would now be a
>>> good
>>> time to mention that this telco's switch control stuff all runs on >
>>> PCs?
>>
>> *snicker*
>>
>> I find that amazingly funny for some reason.  :)
>
> Not particularly pertinent, since you can have incompetent people
> operating UNIX systems just as easily. Ask me about the IT director I
> worked for who told a junior admin to yank two external disk arrays
> from a
> running mission-critical Sun E3500 Oracle server. Root and swap were
> mirrored across those arrays, in the midst of a storage reorganization
> correct for some serious bad design in the filesystems. (Yes, he did
> it,
> since he knew I was getting canned that day and he didn't want to be
> walking out with me.) By the logic implied above, Sun and Solaris are
> utter sh!t and cannot be used in a production environment.

Who cares whether it's pertinent or not?  I found it funny.  That is
all.

> And for what it's worth, the systems we had at Ball State ten years
> ago to
> control the PBXes in our lab (provided by AT&T, who probably don't know
> anything about UNIX (= ) were the AT&T PC 6300 line. Guess how many
> problems we had with them. Right. NONE.

Frankly, it's not worth anything to me.  You could use monkey poop with
molten tin poured on top as a processor if it works, but I won't for th
esimple reason that it's monkey poop.

Use whatever you want, man.

--
Kurt				"There are some bad people on the rise.
kurt at k-huhn.com	They're saving their own skins by ruining peoples