[rescue] A bit of Fun

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jun 17 12:55:31 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	Since tempers seem to be up a little I thought maybe a bit of fun
> may help us out. How about the Rescue worst of awards ? This could be the
> Alpha version. How about nominations for:
>
> 1. Worst Machine Architecture
> 2. Worst Processor
> 3. Worst Operating system
> 4. Worst Case Design
> 5. Etc if you can think of anything else.

I think it would be more fun if you ruled out the entire 16-bit and later
Intel/Cyrix/AMD/NEC PC world.

That means if you think that the 8086 was the worst processor ever, or
CP/M-86 was the worst OS, or the 5150 was the worst case, go for it. But
don't waste time going into Elmer's territory on the 80186 and later and
their OSes/environments/enclosures.

I do wonder if people really think the x86 architecture was such sh!t at
the point of initial deployment. I'm not talking about Pentium 4-HT. I'm
talking 8086. How much better could it have handled 640KB and a 5 megabyte
hard drive?

> overhead of windows 95 on a machine 1/3 as fast.

This one might have made sense in terms of the baseline machine, but I ran
Win95 on a 386/25 quite respectably. Beta version even, with all the
overhead. BOB should have been considered historically in the sense of
GEOS or GEM probably.

> 	There, now can't we all just get along?

Let's stop shooting fish in a barrel! Oooh, 30-06. Oooh, what's in this
large wooden bucket?

:)

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com