[rescue] A bit of Fun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 17 12:46:31 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I thought Windows 3.x did memory management.

It relies on an XMS (like himem.sys) or EMS (like emm386.exe) manager to
wrange physical memory.  Once memory is abstracted like that, Windows
does the rest in the "burgermaster" routines.

> I didn't know that they moved the file system into 3.11.

If you activated "32-bit file access", it used a system called IFS to
manage FAT, VFAT, and ISO-9660 filesystems separate from whatwas
provided through DOS.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren