[rescue] A bit of Fun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 17 12:24:50 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I can't decide if the later versions of dos were worse, or windows ME,
> or windows XP.

I actually liked DOS 5 and later.  4.01 had some serious issues, though.

> It is debatable how much windows pre-95 can be called an OS.  However, I
> think that MS BOB is clearly not an OS.  It didn't do any OS like tasks
> to my understanding.

Windows 3.0 and earlier had the tagline "graphical environment".  Only
in 3.1 and later did Microsoft refer to it as an "operating system".
Windows 3.0 and 3.1 were pretty close, though.  All they needed were
filesystem routines and physical memory managers.  In fact 3.11 only
needed a memory manager, as it did all the filesystem stuff internally.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren