[rescue] Perverse Question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jun 17 12:12:52 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:50:02AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Also, I think I made them see the light when I dialed into the network
> > on Monday to troubleshoot a downed T1, got a reason for the outage, and
> > developed a workaround - all from 650 miles away.  This was reason
> > enough to reimburse me for the iBook.  :)
>
> It's all too often that it takes something like this to make an employer
> realize that there is value to having people be able to work remotely.

I did things like this from Key West (FL) for a Santa Clara (CA) employer.
Once even walked one of my lab techs through fixing a problem that had the
lab shut down for 4 hours (without having a computer at my disposal). I
won't mention what kind of machine he had to be walked through fixing,
because I know some people here don't like them (and this was one of the
first retail ones, with only 256KB cache and a 4gb hard drive and pgx8,
but it was beefier than anything else I had to spare at the time). And
some people may mistake a "disk full" issue for a hardware design problem
in the midst of blaming the hardware in question, so I'll save their time.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com