[rescue] Re: Perverse Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 17 11:53:29 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I think you just have to change your approach.

Or your risumi.  Mine says that I was never unemployed, just
self-employed.  Granted, sometimes I'd do no more than one job a week,
but it'd (barely) pay the bills, and I'd consider myself a self-employed
consultant.

If you tinker with software, hardware, or anything (rescuing[0]
hardware--to stay on topic) you can be self-employed (especially if you
get a d.b.a.) and never make a dollar.  Just put on your risumi that you
were self-employed under the name of XYZ company (which, if you've filed
for a d.b.a. is reflected in the county records) doing whatever and got
out of it because the money sucked.

Remember: MCSEs don't get in the door because they know anything.  They
get in the door because they can spin and because they have brand
association.  Tinkering on a 4/670MP in your garage isn't just fucking
off time, it's "maintaining and repairing datacenter-grade Sun hardware
with limited funds and available tools".

If you actually -know- the stuff you're embellishing, I don't think it's
misleading at all to put a spin on it.  Remember that the average joe
sits in front of his TV drinking beer and watching "reality shows"
whenever he's not working.  There is NO REASON that people who do
technical stuff in their spare time should -only- get experience credit
for the stuff they get paid to do.

[0] "Server Maintenance/Restoration Technician" sounds nice, doesn't it?
--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren