[rescue] Perverse Question

Clayton Wheeler csw at thirdshoe.net
Mon Jun 16 14:50:12 CDT 2003

On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 12:06 US/Pacific, Phil Stracchino wrote:

[x86 discussion snipped]
> I use Linux and x86 where it's the best tool for the job, and I grit my
> teeth and choke down Win2K and x86 where it's the best tool for the
> job.
> (And I tried to use OpenBSD on sun4m where it looked like that was the
> best tool for the job, but either my LX has bad serial ports, or
> OpenBSD
> doesn't talk to them right.)

I posted about this a while ago, and since then I installed OpenBSD 3.3
on my LX. The serial ports work fine now, so it seems to have been a
problem with OpenBSD < 3.3. (I skipped 3.2, so maybe they fixed it
there.) OpenBSD 3.3 is very nice on SPARC, incidentally. Makes a great
firewall / DNS / mail-gateway box, especially with the buffer-overflow
protection logic built into the C runtime.

--
Clayton Wheeler
csw at thirdshoe.net