[rescue] GCC Cross Compiling..

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Mon Jun 16 11:16:04 CDT 2003

Well that didn't use to be the case......I had great luck working with it
on SPARC targeting a Sun 3/80.

When I started working at Lockheed on the Pilots Associate system, I seemed to
be the only person there who even knew GCC did cross compiling.  They
had one Sun 3/80 (the target board sets were 68030 boards so they used
ONE Sun 3/80 for a lab of like 30 of us...took almost a whole day to compile
the full system before I got there......( don't get me started with the
weird environment...
share'd memory...like "ACTUALLY SHARED ACROSS DIFFERENT CPU's..without
"real locking".....invoking functions stored on other boards...)

They had 3 or 4 Sun Sparc 1's and 2's the were using as X-Terminals....and
I asked
after enduring a week of these "start the compile, and go to lunch" deals,
why, oh why
aren't we cross compiling on the Sparc's and just linking on the 3/80? (we
had some
particular libs we needed to link with that license wise we couldn't
distribute...
VX Works stuff...)   And you'd can imagine the look on my face when I saw
30 folks say in tandem "Cross Compile??"....

Needless to say I was the hero when we could compile the entire system in
like 10 min...
(though I did have some headaches with bad code in gas....but it wasn't
that horrible,
since we had support with Cygnus and Mike T.  He and P. Bothner(sp?) got to
know me
real well...8-)...and I got lots of laughs when I said "I have a problem
with gas"... )

Earl