[rescue] Perverse Question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jun 15 22:40:31 CDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 11:41:28AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
>
> > He speaks for the majority, I suspect. Very few people who have used all
> > of the currently available Microsoft operating systems to a substantial
> > degree will dispute that Win2k is quite stable and usable. It's almost the
>
> I'd dispute it's stability.  I've seen it crash on factory configured
> dells like a drunken monkey at the wheel of an 18 wheeler, over, and
> over again.  Win2k on Dell Precisions with Geforce 3 and Quadra4 cards
> don't seem wonderfull.

YMMV. I ran it for months on end on a stock Dell (P4 1.5 I think) at my
last job, and only had it "crash" when the cleaning crew blew my breaker.
I suspect it would've crashed then no matter what OS it was running, or
even if it was another platform. Not many platforms are designed to run
well without power, you know.

I don't know many drunken monkeys, and never saw one driving an 18-wheeler
outside of bad 70s and 80s comedy films, so maybe I'm missing something
here.

Once again, YMMV. W2k has been rock solid on the hardware I've run it on,
from a Pentium 150 laptop with 96MB RAM through an Athlon XP 2000+ desktop
with 512MB. I tend to use low-end video (8-32MB Nvidia or S3 stuff
mainly).

And once again, YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary.

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com