[rescue] Perverse Question

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Sun Jun 15 22:38:03 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 11:10:03PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Well, .NET sounds to me as the first non-braindead MS
> technology. There may be a lot of application development frameworks,
> but if .net lives up to the claims of language independence (doubtful)
> or platform independence (MS - also doubtful) it might actually be
> neat.

Ahem.  The GNUstep/OpenStep/Cocoa model.  Last I heard, fully compatible
with Objective-C, Java, and AppleScript.  Also fully compatible with,
but a bit painfull, C, and C++ (by painfull, it is easy enough to use
Objects from C/C++, but making objects for other languages to use in
those two is a pain).  There is also a growing amount of full
compatibility (via object bridgesI think it is buggy at the moment) with
Python, Common Lisp, Scheme, and Smalltalk.

And all with less overhead and more elegence.

> Otoh, I recently read in Linux Magazine (nl) a letter from a reader who said
> python allready offers everything .net has. True or not, I can't tell...

Saying that is like saying that an apple already offers everything a
brick does.  They are two seperate things.