[rescue] Perverse Question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jun 15 20:34:57 CDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Someone once told me "it's a Windows world".  Funny...I live and
> breathe computers all day and all night long, and I don't use it.

So you're going to run Linux on the SunPCi? Or FreeBSD? :)

>    It's all a matter of perspective...if all you use are x86 boxes, it's
> easy to think that's all there is in the computing world.  I don't think
> anyone in this forum, for example, is enough of a "sheep" to think the
> Internet runs on a bunch of PCs.

Parts of it do though, and I doubt (for example) you could reproduce
Google cost-effectively on another architecture. If you have a completely
unlimited budget (in utility/space or in systems), you might be able to do
it. One could argue that Google is generally a bad thing and the world
would be better without it, but that would be silly.

I suspect most of the network itself runs on mc68k and powerpc on cPCI and
similar blades, running code developed under Wind River or Greenhills (or
something green). The parts of it I've supported hardware development for
do, to a substantial degree.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com