[rescue] More bits and pieces

Jeffrey J. Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Sun Jun 15 11:53:35 CDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:08:57 -0500, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:47:51PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 01:47 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>>>A small 68k based lisp machine is something I want to do someday.
>>>little memory, a simple SCSI interface, premptive-multitasking,
>>>and VGA
>>>level graphics, except hopefully 24bit.
>>
>>I would be very, very interested in doing the hardware side of
>>this.
>>Without the graphics, though, frankly.
>
>All I ask is that there be reasonable access to the bus for adding
>graphics.  Realistically, anything that's done should be done over a
>serial link first.  No reason making life harder than nescesary with
>premature graphics.

Well, I've got these processors, and SCSI controllers, and some
DUARTs, memory... maybe we could interface to PCI? If not, there are
still ISA cards around. Unless you wanted to try to use those
graphics controllers I have and build 'em right on.

Have you guys got the design finished yet? :)

Without sufficient buffering, those DUARTS aren't going to be able to
keep up with higher speeds, unless they've got larger FIFOs than I
think they have. But keep it under 38400 and you should be OK, which
is fine for terminal access.