[rescue] Perverse Question

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sun Jun 15 04:43:40 CDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I don't believe R3k is SMP-capable.  You'd have to add a lot of glue
> logic to make that work.  I don't understand the affection for R3k,
> other than its beautiful simplicity.  Personally, I like R4k better, but
> only because I like 64-bit integers.

Well most chips need some sort of glue logic to make them "SMP" capable.
The R4K is not "SMP capable" either :).

I assumed the original poster also wanted to include the "smarts" for SMP
on that same chip, hence his reference to cache coherence stuff...

BTW, I love the R3K because it was the last true MIPS!!! R4K and up all
have interlocks hence rendering the MIPS name a travesty :).