[rescue] More bits and pieces

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jun 15 03:58:41 CDT 2003

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I remember a long time ago, there was a write up of a 68000-based Unix
> box that was going to be released for an estimated $600 - back before
> Linux, when your choices were Real Unix at $,$$$ or Minix on an IBM
> PC/XT...

I paid $1000 (one thousand dollars) for my copy of ESIX (Everex's brand
of UNIX) in 1990. By the time I had outfitted a 386/SX 16 with 2m ram,
the copy of ESIX, a QIC tape drive, and a pile of manuals, it cost about
$5000. Best investment I ever made as I moved from mainframes to UNIX.

There wan't much else at the time, except Coherent (sort of UNIX clone)
and Minix. There simply were no used Suns or similar machines on the
market. Linux, 3286BSD, etc did not exist.

The ESIX machine was upgraded to their Sys5R4 version and a 386/33 with 4m.
It ran all my email, newsgroups, etc and later a web proxy as my home network
expanded unitl October of '96, when I packed it all up and moved here.

To keep it on topic, I recently aquired the mising pieces (lost in the move)
to get it going again. I was thinking of running it again. Anyone else
have any ESIX experiences?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069