[rescue] Perverse Question

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Jun 14 22:07:25 CDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I've since dumped gcc with extreme prejudice on all my Ultras,
> though...Sun's compiler is SO MUCH BETTER it's just ridiculous.
> Seriously.  Just FYI. ;)

Yeah, sometimes I pull my hairs whith gcc, specially when I look at the
traces. THey still need to work a bit on their RISC backend, seems that
they are mostly x86 centric (no big suprise there).I wonder if Apple's
work on gcc for the PPC could be applied for the backend for the rest of
risc machines.

Sun's cc is pretty good, I also love MIPSpro though... the most pedantic
compiler on earth :), I make a point in compiling things using SGI's cc
because I will know that it will be as true to C as it can be. Plus gcc
has a nasty set of gccisms that are quite annoying sometimes and break
some standards. Also I love MIPSpro automatic parallelization tools, they
are fantastic sometimes and I have been quite impressed. Like SUNs
compiler, stuff compiled using cc instead of gcc in IRIx is significantly
faster.... :)

BTW Dave, I love MIPS :) (except for the R8K :) ). The R3K was a beautiful
design IMHO....