[rescue] Perverse Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at qyx.com
Wed Jun 11 21:45:08 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 03:46 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> 9 is supposed to be faster in general... does that help on the LX?
>> And I definitely would NOT be running X on the machine...
>
> I've never run 9 on an LX, but 2.6 was a dog.  7 was a dog.  8 was two
> three-legged dogs fighting over an old sock.  9 is probably better.

   [man, I'm in a "gotta comment on everything" mood tonight...sorry if
I'm spewing turds]

   While I've turned into quite the Solaris fan in recent years (wake
the kids, phone the neighbors), I'd never EVER run it on anything
slower than an Ultra1.  With OSs like NetBSD around which is blindingly
fast on Sun4C and Sun4M machines, there's just very little point.  And
if you need Solaris, an Ultra1 is, what, a $40 affair on eBay?

          -Dave