sparcalarms, was Re: [rescue] Perverse Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at qyx.com
Wed Jun 11 21:36:14 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 06:51 PM, Eric Josephson wrote:
> I'm aware of the history of java and what it was supposedly
> designed for.  But being (or having been) an embedded developer
> myself, the idea apalls me.  Ick.  And you folks complain about
> bloat in your desktop OS?  Sun can't even implement java efficiently
> on their workstations.

   It's plenty fast on MY Suns.  Dunno what you're talking about.  It's
likely a crappily written app...nearly every commercial Java app I've
seen has been slower than pissing tar, but somehow the ones we write at
work, and the stuff I write here, all run really fast. (and I'm not
even an O.O. guy, and as such I write crappy Java code!)

   But anyway, if you think about your past work in embedded systems,
I'm sure you're recall that execution performance is almost never a
concern in those types of applications.

> No worries, I suspected you were being a bit of a smart-ass with your
> original comment, thus my response: they make about as much sense.

   Lionel is our resident smartass. ;)

     -Dave