[rescue] IRIX console

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jun 14 02:13:14 CDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Kevin wrote:

> I had set it to 640x480_60 in an attempt to get Quake
> to run with decent frame rates.  Not a good idea....

You'll start to notice something about SGIs.  For things that can be
hardware-accelerated (like pure geometry, or geometry+texture on a
card w/ HW texturing), window and screen size do not matter.  They have
enough bus bandwidth and memory bandwidth to keep everything happy, even
at full screen.

The first time I noticed this (in an OpenGL app I wrote), I was shocked.
The same app, in Windows, varied from 80fps at 1600x1200 to 600 or so
fps at 640x480, and still varied as I resized the window.  On the
Octane, it was always a steady 200fps or so.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren