[rescue] bits and pieces

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 12 00:38:16 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 08:45 AM, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> I've just found two of these in my Pile O' Stuff:
>
> http://www.cpu-museum.com/8X300_e.htm
>
> (specifically, the 50 pin CERDIP gold top)
>
> Anybody know anything about these?

   This is a relatively fast little microcontroller...I believe it was
marketed as a "peripheral controller" or some such.  It is the
forerunner of Microchip's PIC family, and their basic architecture
hasn't changed much.  They were very widely used in high-performance
disk controllers in 1970's-era minicomputers.  They are power hungry
and run hot.

            -Dave