[rescue] Mac rescue

Jeffrey J. Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Jun 12 11:48:07 CDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:19:37 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>>A good place to look is the LowEndMac site
>>(http://www.lowendmac.com).
>>
>>IIRC, we are talking about 5400s and 5260s. If you can get a 5400,
>>go for
>>it. It is a decent first-generation PCI-based Mac. It is
>>upgradeable to a G3
>>via the L2 cache slot. Besides the classic MacOS, it should also
>>run
>>LinuxPPC nicely (assuming enough memory/disk).
>>
>>OTOH, the 5260 is considered a "Road Apple" because of a very
>>convoluted
>>architecture (see the description on LEM). Some people like them,
>>but figure
>>on running only the classic MacOS with some performance
>>limitations.
>
>My only suggestion re the 5260 is "run".  They are slow as can be.

Yes. Looking around at the info you guys have provided, I have to
agree.

Looks like a 5400 would be worth the time to haul it home, though.

>Really a pathetic machine, rather than being a Road Apple they
should
>name it the ultimate insult - a Packard Bell.

Heh. Well, I don't know... I have at LEAST three working parts I've
salvaged from a Packard Bell machine that my neighbor gave to me.

:)