[rescue] Mac rescue

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 10:09:08 CDT 2003

A good place to look is the LowEndMac site (http://www.lowendmac.com).

IIRC, we are talking about 5400s and 5260s. If you can get a 5400, go for
it. It is a decent first-generation PCI-based Mac. It is upgradeable to a G3
via the L2 cache slot. Besides the classic MacOS, it should also run
LinuxPPC nicely (assuming enough memory/disk).

OTOH, the 5260 is considered a "Road Apple" because of a very convoluted
architecture (see the description on LEM). Some people like them, but figure
on running only the classic MacOS with some performance limitations.

Either way, if you get one, try and pick up a TV/Video system for it (TV
tuner, remote and AV ports). They are fairly cheap on ebay, but are a really
neat addition to this series of hardware.

<<<John>>>