[rescue] Gulliver [ was: Sequent NUMA-Q 2000]

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jun 11 17:23:36 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 05:47 PM, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

> [1] Their manufacturing floor was really nice.  But walking from
> building
> to building through their cube farms was *bizarre* - it made me
> dizzy... I
> felt like Gulliver, going from one huge room where the walls were all
> 4'
> high to the next where the cubes were all 6' high, then through another
> with short walls, etc.

I'd never been a large cubicle hive until I went on a consulting gig
with my boss to Intel.  It was more like a parking garage, with labels
on the pillars (I know now this is de rigueur, but at the time it kind
of weirded me out--my company had maybe 20 employees).  The only cool
thing about Intel (after being searched before going in :-/), was that
even the executives had cubicles.  To accommodate their need for
conferences and privacy, they had each had a small meeting room they
were "owner" of, but their desks and computers were in cubicles just
like the bees'.

=Nadine=