[rescue] Is this machine worth a rescue? (Tales from the dumpster)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jun 11 10:33:58 CDT 2003

On 2003.06.11 16:56 Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

>   I'd try contact cleaner on the whole thing,
I would not do this. I made bad experiences with that contact cleaning
stuff. It "cleans", but later there is even more corrosion.

I pulled a Sun 3/160 CPU board and a 3C509 out of mud some years ago.
There was rust on the connector shells of the Sun 3/160 CPU board, it
looked really bad. I took it to the shower, washed it with a brush
carefull and then I poored isopropyl over the boards to get rid of the
water. Three days of drying later the boards worked like new.

I would not use a ultrasonic cleaner. AFAIK this can damage the
electrolyte capacitors that are all over the board.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen