[rescue] Cross Country shipping

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jun 10 18:45:43 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Al Potter wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I won an epay auction for a SParc Storage Array.  It's on the west coast
> (LA-ish), I'm in PA.
>
> The seller has quoted me ~$100 to ship it UPS ground, based on a weight of
> 115 pounds.
>
> Can anyone suggest a significantly cheaper alternative?

<Dave>
 Move.
</Dave>

Seriously, that's not bad for a non-freight option, considering they will
probably have to package it well (or at least thoroughly). This sounds
like a SSA100/SSA1010/30-drive model?

I got a quote for shipping one of my Laserjet 4SI printers. 125 pounds,
about a 2 foot cube. It was going to be only $100 for freight shipping to
the midwest, but $150-200 to crate/pallet it. Those rates don't get much
better for one-off shipping.

So best I can suggest is grin and bear it, and next time get one closer to
home. :)

> FWIW, I intend to use this as the manufacturer originally intended.....  8-)

Stress-testing datacenter air conditioning systems?

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com