[rescue] Perverse Question

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jun 10 12:51:30 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:31:02PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > There are several things that could be tried still.  First, we could try
> > compiling mpg123 (or some other engine) in Forte with all optimizations
> > turned on, then moving the binary to sparclinux to run.
>
> > Also, many MP3 programs use hand optimized intel assembly (or they used
> > to back when I was doing Mp3s on a 486).  It might be that such a thing
> > is needed to make the sparcs work well.  Finally, it might be that Intel
> > has an instruction that helps that sparcs don't.
>
> Now you're thinking along the lines I was =)

It would be cool, but frankly, it is no longer a high priority.  I'd
rather put such time towards making some sort of sound adaptor for old
machines and including mp3 decoding in that.  But, I don't have time for
this either, though I've been kicking around some ideas involving a
rabbit processor package and a STMicro MP3 chip.