[rescue] Perverse Question

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jun 10 08:01:19 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:24:37PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:

> Yes I did and yes it works.  Provided you remember three things:
>
> 1) You're not going to play 128k mp3s out of it.  28k ones worked ok
> though.
>
> 2) The leaner the OS the better off you are.  No X-Windows and mp3.
> Just won't work.  mpg123 worked well though.
>
> 3) Debian Sparc is your best friend on this.  Do as lean a load as your
> can though.

There are several things that could be tried still.  First, we could try
compiling mpg123 (or some other engine) in Forte with all optimizations
turned on, then moving the binary to sparclinux to run.

Also, many MP3 programs use hand optimized intel assembly (or they used
to back when I was doing Mp3s on a 486).  It might be that such a thing
is needed to make the sparcs work well.  Finally, it might be that Intel
has an instruction that helps that sparcs don't.