[rescue] Perverse Question

Eric Josephson ericj at speakeasy.org
Tue Jun 10 05:25:18 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> I often use the lunchbox machines as firewalls, although traditionally
> I've used sun4c machines (IPC/IPX).  I've got an LX now and have
> been thinking of trying to see if it can handle playing music...
> I wonder if the 50Mhz Microsparc is up to it... =)

I use my LX'es as alarm clocks and they'll definitely handle mp3s.
If you're using 128kb samples, decimate them by two or you'll get
odd effects.  If you're also running seti at home on the box you'll
want to decimate them by four.  This is with sol2.6 and mpg123.
Other codecs might do better; I haven't tried.

--
Eric Josephson <ericj at speakeasy.org>