[rescue] First steps on "new" rs6000?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 9 22:39:59 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Carl R. Friend wrote:

> > >    Try pulling the graphics card.  This *should* trick the thing
> >
> > Did that first. As I sat here typing it, the card was sitting on the
> > detached keyboard.
>
>    Oh, well.  'Twas just an idea.  I suppose the crux of the issue
> is what you plan to use the machine for in the end.  I've got a
> 220 that boots fine with both graphics console and RS-232, and a
> PowerServer 930 that's serial-only.  The RS/6000s are finicky,
> though, about modem controls.

The idea is appreciated. I got it working fairly happily once I got the
cdrom connected and had something to do IPL from.

>    Does your graphics card have any recognisable markings on it?

Like a part number? :) 11H2534, it's an IBM GXT150M card. 1280x1024
apparently, 13W3.

I also have a 75X5887 "PS/2 XGA Display Adapter/A" that came out of a 486,
but I'm not sure it'll work in an rs6k. I'm happy with the GXT150M for now
though. :)

I also pulled a 66G1080 SCSI A/16 card, typical external IBM SCSI port and
50 pin internal... I wonder if that will work in here. Once again,
guessing it won't, and it seems to not handle boot drives >1G on the PS/2.

> > Hmmm. WOnder if I should turn on hardware flow control on the laptop port
> > then. Oh well, it's working well for now on the graphical console.
>
>    I think it'd be worth a go, but don't get your hopes up.  Usually
> DTR passed to RTS and DCD is (I think) enough.  Check to make doubly
> sure that you've got a null-modem adapter that does the full monty.

I'm using a laplink-type cable, so I'm not sure what it does. I use these
for the Suns all the time (which is why I had them around). Will have to
look into getting a full hardware adapter and a straight cable.

>    Cheers.

Thanks for the pointers and such.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com