[rescue] Perverse Question

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Jun 9 18:24:37 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 05:39 PM, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>> Yes.  Until the one I gave away failed I was planning on making a Sparc
>> mp3 player for my car.  And the LX has 16bit stereo too!
>
> Did you try it out?  No problems with playback?

Yes I did and yes it works.  Provided you remember three things:

1) You're not going to play 128k mp3s out of it.  28k ones worked ok
though.

2) The leaner the OS the better off you are.  No X-Windows and mp3.
Just won't work.  mpg123 worked well though.

3) Debian Sparc is your best friend on this.  Do as lean a load as your
can though.

>>> However, because it uses the ISDN audio, the BSDs are out.
>>> Supposedly Linux supports it now, and Solaris definitely does...
>
>> NetBSD has a kernel patch available for it - just ask one of the
>> developers.  Also Debian Sparc runs very lean on that machine.
>
> Hmmm...  I might be tempted to try NetBSD then...  I suppose I
> might try Debian.  I like Debian, but I've gravitated towards other
> OS's for sparc hardware lately....

Funny but IIRC the audio hardware on the LX is different than the others
and is not ISDN but a separate chip.  NetBSD should support it by now
but like I said you need to check with the developers on it.

Debian works well...

Mike

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655