[rescue] Gotta love those PeeCees

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Jun 9 17:55:11 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com>
wrote:

> If your OS doesn't handle PNP (early BSD/Linux for example) or doesn't
> handle it the way you want it to, you can manually set IRQ and DMA info in
> the BIOS so the OS doesn't have to guess. Good for magical serial port
> deals and such, I suspect.

I know what Plug-n-Pray is and I know about BIOS settings and so on. I've
juggled memory maps on many a PC. I think some people missed the point.
Following the logic of the description, I see that:

1) If you don't have a PNP OS, set it to No so you can control it via the
BIOS.

2) If you do have a PNP OS, you can set it to Yes, but you don't have to.

My conclusion: If it doesn't matter for a PNP OS, why bother with a choice?

> Not a new or even recent option in most BIOSes. Did ya rescue a PC
> recently, and felt brave enough to mention it?

I was given a PC mobo by the same fellow who gave me the SS20s. I finally
started poking around, and happened to find somebody on this list with a
processor. After some back-and-forth, we decided that one big pile would be
better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we decided
to throw ours down. Er. I mean, we worked out a trade where I ended up with
the processor and the mobo instead of my original intent, which was to find
a home for the mobo.

So, yes, I now have an Intel motherboard with a 333 MHz Pentium II MMX
Slot-1 processor and 32 meg of RAM. It thinks it's a Packard Bell. Which,
come to think of it, is funny as hell, because I got this power supply out
of a different Packard Bell. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

---
Coito ergo sum.