[rescue] Gotta love those PeeCees

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 9 17:53:18 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:18:05PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> Speaking of which, in the batch with the 3CT was a HUGE 486 PS/2. I didn't
> have room in the car for it, so I pulled the microchannel cards and simms
> and gave the carcass to someone in the parking lot. It seemed there were
> 2-3 different kinds of MCA slot--looked like EISA slots until I looked at
> the edge connector which was definitely not [E]ISA.

I think I remember seeing a VERY VERY FEW "dual-bus" boards that had an
MCA connector on one edge of the board and an EISA connector on the
other. You could, so the manufacturer claimed, just flip them
edge-for-edge and use them in either class of machine.  ISTR the
reasoning was that in the low numbers they were producing, it was more
cost-effective to build a single board with both interface chipsets on
it than to manufacture two different versions of the card.

Does anyone else remember these, or am I hallucinating?