[rescue] Perverse Question

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:43:18 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> THAT is where the real crime is.  Machines like Cray YMPs, where fewer
> than 1000 were ever made, and many of which were made for DoD-affiliated
> companies and agencies, will pass forever into the night of a shredder
> because of the paranoia and superstition of some fatass with brass
> buttons down the front.  I suppose the least we rescuers can do is make
> sure that this happens as infrequently as possible in the private
> sector.

Not really, machines like CRAYs are either decomissioned and uninstalled
by CRAY themselves, or sold for scrap material... mostly to extract gold
and stuff. I have seen old mainframes being dumped into acid baths ot
extract the useful metals from them.

Then again I saw a CM-2 (I think it was a 200 actually) being chopped down
to tiny itty bitty pieces, now that WAS a crime. Usually machines whose
vendors have dissapeared are more likelly to end up this way....