[rescue] Perverse Question

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Jun 9 16:50:52 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 02:05 PM, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
>
>> Now that I have this thing... what on Earth should I do with it?
>
> I often use the lunchbox machines as firewalls, although traditionally
> I've used sun4c machines (IPC/IPX).  I've got an LX now and have
> been thinking of trying to see if it can handle playing music...
> I wonder if the 50Mhz Microsparc is up to it... =)

Yes.  Until the one I gave away failed I was planning on making a Sparc
mp3 player for my car.  And the LX has 16bit stereo too!

> However, because it uses the ISDN audio, the BSDs are out.
> Supposedly Linux supports it now, and Solaris definitely does...

NetBSD has a kernel patch available for it - just ask one of the
developers.  Also Debian Sparc runs very lean on that machine.

Mike Hebel

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655