[rescue] Perverse Question

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Mon Jun 9 16:47:04 CDT 2003

Hello Jonathan & all,

Monday, June 9, 2003, 8:19:55 PM, you wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Steve Sandau wrote:
>> Their rules. Furniture can be "given away" (not that easy but it can be
>> done), but computer equipment cannot. It has to go to DRMO or be
>> destroyed. I volunteered to "destroy" it *for* them, but no go...
> I can understand this rule for media, but what military secrets could
> possibly be latent in 10 year-old silicon that probably hasn't seen any
> confidential information in the last two or three years?

  ah well... stories like that are true indeed. I personally carried a
  Sun IPX from one security area to one another. The "funny" part
  starts when you know that it wasn't in the papers of area #1 (noone
  would have ever cared if I carried it away) but it went into the
  papers of area #2. The bad thing is that area #2 was of higher
  security and the IPX by now has been probably also melted/shredded -
  although it most likely was never used for anything else except a
  software demo. It just happened to be in the wrong place.

  Although it was "just" an IPX I still feel bad for this whole thing.
  Perhaps that's why I keep telling it again, and again and again
  and...

  Thanks for listening to an old script,

Gerhard