[rescue] First steps on "new" rs6000?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 9 15:23:11 CDT 2003

Well, I got the 3CT.

<Aside>And an entire Saturn SL2 full of other stuff, including a red iMac
that appears to just be missing its optical drive.</Aside>

What are good first steps on bringing one of the RS6000 small machines
(i.e. desktop form factor/less than 100 pounds) up and finding out how
well it's configured?

I'm guessing I can pull the FB and run serial console, and I'm guessing I
don't have a handy monitor that will work with the FB that's in it (does
it use a SOGgy monitor? and if so, will an SGI 17" work on it?), and I'm
guessing I may not have the right keyboard for it, based on flaky recall
from the recent rs6k threads.

I guess what I'm interested in are any obvious starting points,
equivalents to show-devs/hinv in sunOBP/SGI, any diagnostics I should run
(I'm not feeling well enough to take the machine apart to look up all the
memory part #s, but I think I saw well over a dozen simms in there).

<Aside>
I also ended up with a metric decibuttload of Wordperfect 5.1 and 6.0 for
DOS, full boxes in shrinkwrap, and some other neat stuff. Even an IBM
typewriter (wheelwriter 3) and a couple of wee UPSes. I probably took a
year off the life of my tires, but it keeps me sane. :)
</Aside>

--Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com