[rescue] Perverse Question

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jun 9 14:42:32 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> MP3s will be a stretch.  I don't know if there's enough umph in that
> MicroSPARC to decode MP3s in realtime.  Keep in mind that a 50MHz
> MicroSPARC is about as powerful as a 486DX at between 80 and 100MHz.

I thought it might be.  And I currently have a number of Sparc 5s
kicking around, so I can use those (and the audio on the 4/5s IS
supported by the BSDs).  But the lunchbox factor is SO much cuter =)

> Yeah, and Solaris 2.x on an LX hurts.  BTDT.  It's not so bad over the
> network, but at the console, ouch.

9 is supposed to be faster in general... does that help on the LX?
And I definitely would NOT be running X on the machine...

--Kurt