[rescue] Perverse Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 9 14:20:28 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> I often use the lunchbox machines as firewalls, although traditionally
> I've used sun4c machines (IPC/IPX).  I've got an LX now and have
> been thinking of trying to see if it can handle playing music...
> I wonder if the 50Mhz Microsparc is up to it... =)

MP3s will be a stretch.  I don't know if there's enough umph in that
MicroSPARC to decode MP3s in realtime.  Keep in mind that a 50MHz
MicroSPARC is about as powerful as a 486DX at between 80 and 100MHz.

> However, because it uses the ISDN audio, the BSDs are out.
> Supposedly Linux supports it now, and Solaris definitely does...

Yeah, and Solaris 2.x on an LX hurts.  BTDT.  It's not so bad over the
network, but at the console, ouch.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren