[rescue] Some days ....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 8 15:26:50 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 04:12 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Even the processor ???  I don't think the 8086/8088 was that old when
> IBM adopted it for the PC, so I fail to see how the processor could
> have
> only been a few $.  Other than the processor, most components on there
> were probably pretty cheap.... especially in IBM's quantity purchase of
> parts.

   Sorry, even the processor.  Jameco Electronics' price on the 8088 was
$39.95 in January of 1983 (that's the most relevant data point I could
come up with on short notice)...That company isn't known for low chip
prices, and that's quantity 1.  Places like JDR Microdevices had them
for about $30, going down to $20 in qty. 25.

   I wasn't speculating...I've *bought* the blasted things.

   Companies like IBM get special discounts even beyond sheer quantity.
I'd guess they probably paid $6-7/ea for 8088s...though that *is*
speculation.

         -Dave