[rescue] "Desk Top: workstation on E-pay

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jun 8 15:22:59 CDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Rico Pajarola wrote:

> Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote
> >Another wanted me to ship internationally on his UPS account,
> >and he'd send me a check.
> >
> >Some people just don't read the listings. The stories I could tell.
>
> that must have been me (at least I have done it that way on several
> occasions, be it dealing with you or someone else)... I asked nicely
> *before* bidding, exactly because I have read it.

Probably not you, unless you were having something sent to Hong Kong.

This was an auction of a Cisco router, and the auction clearly stated in
three places that it was US only (didn't want to bother with the risk of
export restrictions on encryption) and that I would only ship to a Paypal-
confirmed US address.

Some things like lingerie and drive cables I don't mind, but
big/expensive/export limited items are a pain to ship. I sent an Ultra 2
to Sweden last year and the post office refused it because the box was 1"
too high.

> I admit, the UPS account and the check aren't the simplest ways of
> sending stuff around, but they guarante zero-risk of fraud to you
> ('item ships the day after payment is received').

Well, the UPS account could be hijacked/"borrowed" and the check might be
forged. Yeah, I get paranoid when the dollar amounts go up.

If someone seems respectable and makes acceptable arrangements in advance,
I will probably make exceptions. However, if someone bids on and wins the
auction and then hits three red flags in a row (not in the US, not paying
by advertised-as-accepted means, wanting third party shipping
arrangements) I start to wonder.

> It's too bad (rescue-wise) to be living outside the US...

Yeah, I won't doubt that. Some would say it's bad to be outside the
coastal big cities in the US even.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com