[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun Jun 8 09:40:29 CDT 2003

What is the username  ?  If it is a dictionary word, name, or simple
derivation (i.e. bear001 at ...) or a username that previously existed
the spammers will have it or will find it.

Spammers used to use EXPN or VRFY to find addresses off of a dictionary
of possible addresses (much like crack, etc use a dictionary and set of
rules for cracking possible passwords).... they would connect and check
each one.... and log the good ones.

When everyone started closing off EXPN or VRFY, spammers switched to doing
RCPT TO.... either way they have a great way to probe for valid addresses.
Now with open proxies to hide where they are probing from, then can do
so with even greater anonymity.

Unless you have an odd address... i.e. b3ar, imbear, 1bear4all, etc...
if your ISP gets probed they are likely going to find your address.

Once one spammer finds your address.... it is only a matter of time...
(spammers like to also make money by selling addresses... or at least
they used to... and if they aren't doing it somebody who doesnt want to
be a spammer but wants to make some money might do it).

-- Curt