[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Jun 8 02:11:08 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 02:11:22AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> The problem with our leadership in the house and senate is they have
> insulated themselves from the pain of bad decisions and public bitching.

And from most other things, for that matter.

> Fix that, and I bet things change.

Unfortunately, he who has the gold makes the rules.

> I hear a lot of numbers of course, so I don't know.  But I've read that
> advertising costs range from a few percent to over 75% of the cost of
> the product.

Having seen a former employer's marketing department's monthly budget
for color copying and printing ALONE, ....   yeah.  I could have funded
all the IT recurring expenses very handily out of Marketing's monthly
color copying budget, and had a sizeable chunk left over to wine and
dine the compt....  Er, that is, to improve the morale of IT department
management.

(...Was that my out-loud voice?)

> Advertising and executive salaries, plus executive stupidity, are a huge
> portion of everything you buy now.

Oh gods, don't get me started on executive compensation.  The salaries
people like Carly Fiorina pull down are obscene, especially in a society
where teachers, nurses and firefighters often have to work two jobs to
make ends meet.

> Case in point: Honda recently spent 606 takes on a single commercial,
> and quite a few million dollars.  That's enough money to be noticeable
> in the price tag of every car sold this year.
>
> I mean... sure the commercials look neat, but do we need them,
> especially when you consider how much they add to the sticker price of
> the cars?

And frankly, *at least* one Sturgeon of the commercials Madison Avenue
churns out would insult the intelligence of a retarded wombat.

At least, very occasionally, some companies come out with ads that are
actually intelligent, entertaining and non-insulting (like the Honda ad
you just mentioned).