[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sun Jun 8 00:16:14 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix [shannon at widomaker.com] wrote:

> Isn't there a way tag your email address so that it still routes but has
> a tag you can use to where spam comes from?

Yeah, that's the '+' notation.  You use it as a separator on the LHS of
the @ like so:
user+rescue at example.com

That would get delivered to the mailbox of 'user' at the MX host for
example.com, but with the user+rescue still intact in the 'to' line for
all your procmail/filtering goodness.  If you think about it, you can
do all sorts of things like:
user+amazonorder-12345 at example.com

Of course, not all mail servers support this.  I think sendmail does by
default, it's optional for postfix, I don't know about qmail, and the
chances of any Windows based mailserver supporting it are pretty low.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak