[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Jun 7 10:06:42 CDT 2003

>From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
>Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:51:21 -0400
>
> Mike Hebel says, in part ...
>> On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 10:55 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
>> wrote: [in part]
>> > [an IPC/IPX is just grand as a mailserver until you want to run ]
>> > SpamAssassin, which will use about 12MB of RAM running in
>> > daemon mode.
>>
>> I honestly have never use
>> SpamAssassin.  Properly choosing when and where to use your e-mail
>> address works wonders.
>
>Yeah, but screw up _just_once_, and your address will be on every spam list
>in China, and you'll get innundated.  In my case, the spam that gets through
>outnumbers the legitimate e-mail; I have no idea how much goes in the
>bit-bucket before it gets to the company's POP server.
>
>Until they apply the "illegal access" laws and make spamming a crime, and
>the knowing transmission of it a civil offense, those of us who must be
>available will continue to seek technological defenses.

And even then since so much spam is relayed off of open proxies (primarily
misconfigured Korean proxy servers) which eompltely hides the source, as
long as those methods of spamming without leaving a trail are open, spam
will continue to flourish.

Now if the law can target the companies that the spam is sent for.... and
not just the spammer.... then maybe they will be more effective.