POP Before SMTP in Perl ... was: Re: [rescue] Perverse Question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Jun 7 09:06:30 CDT 2003

>Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 04:12:07 -0400
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Perverse Question
>From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>>
>On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 11:55 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo
>+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>>> *cough* BULLSHIT! *cough*  I use these boxen extensively for simple
>>> web
>>> servers and mail/DNS/firewall boxes.  They just run, and run, and run.
>>
>> The problem is, that even then, they are slow when not doing something
>> that can be handled by a C program.  For instance, they can handle
>> email and POP3 accounts just fine - until you decide to implement
>> POP-before-SMTP, which uses a Perl program and will bog down your
>> system;
>
>   Anyone who puts a Perl program in the middle of that deserves what
>they've got coming to them.

Besides, the best place to do this is within the popper binary itself.

See http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/drac/index.html for a better way to do
pop before smtp.

>>  or SpamAssassin, which will use about 12MB of RAM running in
>> daemon mode.

Haven't used spam assasin... however if that is running in a daemon mode
you won't have the startup penalty of a perl program... since that will
only happen once.  12 Meg is not a big deal for a IPX or SS2... they
top out at 64Meg (128Meg if you have the memory expension Sbus cards).

>   (Personally I make an exception for SpamAssassin because it works so
>very well.)
>
>       -Dave

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
rescue at hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices