[rescue] DG Aviion 3600R rack, AS4100

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jun 7 03:15:44 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 07:54 PM, Robert Novak wrote:
> In one of my wanderings this week, I ran across a Data General Aviion
> rack. It looked like it had two servers and a disk array in the bottom.
>
> My back reminded me that I'm not the slightest bit tempted to bid on
> it,
> 2nd floor apartment and all, but it sure did look nifty. Each unit had
> DLT drive (i think they were 20/40 drives even) and it looked fairly
> clean.
>
> Now the Alphaserver 4100 with three storageworks arrays and a tape
> drive... that my mind overpowered my back on. But I probably will let
> it
> go. What's a "B3052" in DEC terms, and is it worth noting if there's a
> "B3052 Installed" sticker on it? It's looking like it's an updated PCI
> backplane/motherboard? Or a 3.3 volt "saddle" ?

   B3052 is a later-model PCI/EISA motherboard.

   Umm, if you have a chance to get that machine, you should.  The
AS4100 is one of the nicest machines from any vendor that I've ever
used.  Properly configured, they're damn near impossible to slow down.
I once had occasion to play with an AS4100 with four 600MHz EV5 CPUs
with 8MB of cache each.  My God but that machine was fast!

         -Dave